Thursday 30 October 2008

Puzzled hack will say sorry: if necessary

'Twas put to the popular vote on the night. Borrowing from the finest traditions of Zimbabwean democracy, MC Paul Wooding asked for a vote from the floor.

Who was the rudest hack? Charles Arthur, Gary Flood or Giles Coren?

It was Gary. By a nose, we think.

Now here's the thing. At 22.06 last night, Mr Flood rapped out an email to his mailing list as follows. (He must have started writing a few minutes after the award was announced).

Er, apparently I beat Charles Arthur to win 'rudest technology journalist of the year' at the above tonight.

I am a bit confused. I was last a bit 'rude' - aguably, I thought I was doing my job and defending the interests of the readers/users - let's see, when I was the News Editor of Computing - that was in 1999-2000.

I have been freelance since the start of 2001, seven years, and to the best of my knowledge have been nice as pie ever since.

If I'm not then, Jeez, I'm in a bit of trouble on the old self-awareness thing.\

Can anyone - genuine plea - tell me/give me an example of IN 2008 how I have been 'rude,' I'd like to know and if necessary apologise.

But then, as Charles Arthur said on Twitter, pointing out why he wasn't at the 'ceremony,' it's half term and he has better things to think about...

'Puzzled Hack'

Here at The Flackenhacks, we're mindful of the need to promote peace, love and understanding on our fragile planet.

Boys and girls, you know where to send those emails. . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait, wait, it wasn't that I have *better* things to do - it was that I couldn't do both the FHAs as well as mind the kids. In this situation it's not about "better" (that's a bit of a Solomonic choice) but about which one gets you in bigger trouble if you miss it.

Anyway, my answer's on the answering machine..

Guy Clapperton said...

And I didn't even get a mention. Bloody crawlers...

The Flackenhacks said...

Charles

(I assume it's you.) Listen: we'll just have to avoid half-term next year. A few people pointed this out, but we should have thought of it. There's always next year...

Anyway, we still need to mail out your tasteful trophy...