I'll get to work finding out how to make paper-mache cocks (in pink).
Thursday, 18 September 2008
Monday, 8 September 2008
Grab a Flackenhack hack ticket...
Two members of The Flackenhack Awards 2008 organising committee gathered the other night for a Kronenbourg-fuelled brainstorm around some of the important bits of this year's do. One subject that came up was tickets for hacks, and how to handle them.
Now, bless 'em, our friends in the media aren't used to buying themselves tickets for industry events. But we think that having as many hacks along to the event as we can possibly manage is quite important...at least that's what feedback from last year's awards told us.
Thing is, we can't just chuck them all a freebie 'cause it will cost us a fortune. Those hacks might have deep pockets and short arms, but they can certainly reach the bar...
So, we've had an idea. And we think it's a cracker.
On the way to the pub, we found a pretty comprehensive UK IT media list that someone had left on the tube.
Not sure who. Bite perhaps. Or
We're going to stick a Flackenhacks ticket for each of the hacks listed on eBay! And then we'd like you lot – the great and the good of the
As an incentive to bid (and to give this at least a veneer of respectability) we'll be donating 50% of the money raised through the auctions to Byte Night.
Starting price will be low, obviously, but who knows how high it might get for the more popular hacks, eh?
We're also a bit curious about which hacks' tickets are going to remain unsold at auction end. . .
Perhaps we'll need to publish a Hack Popularity Index after the auction.
It goes without saying that hacks are more than welcome to bid for their own tickets, obviously -- although we don’t expect a lot of that to go on.
From next Wednesday, therefore, if you go here, you'll see who is for sale. As it were. . .
- Axicom and NixonMcInnes have signed up as 2008 sponsors. We've got advanced conversations going with half-a-dozen other potential sponsors. If you're interested, please get in touch soon -- at this rate, we'll be running out of space soon.
- Compere Paul Wooding and DJ John Ozimek have signed up to do their respective business at this year's event. . .
- Ticket sales will start this week. If you buy tickets during the next fortnight or so, we'll be offering an Early Monkey discount. Keep your eyes peeled. . .
- This year, we hope more of our friends from the Fourth Estate will join us. To this end, we'll be encouraging you to bid on EBay to buy cheap tickets on behalf of 60 of the world's leading tech hacks. 50% of the takings will go to Byte Night. More anon. . .
- In the next fortnight or so, we'll be holding a Flackenhacks Social in Shoreditch. We'll take a nose around the venue before retiring somewhere across the road to contemplate our awards shortlist. Anyone and everyone interested in The Flackenhacks will be welcome to join us. . .